Love your visitors. Love Accessibility.
It is highly recommended that if a link is external (leaving your website) you warn users a new window will be opened.
This WordPress plugin will evaluate each page of your website and produce a page-by-page report of where you have external links.
Additionally, it has an option to activate an external link alert on each of the found links in the form of an icon and the hidden text “Opens in a new window” – which will be read by a screen reader.
More Information and Demo >>
AccessibilityPress is focused on building products that help websites achieve high accessibility standards including:
- 508 compliance
- WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) 2.0 A, AA or AAA level of conformance
= Installation: =
UPLOAD ZIP FILE OF PLUGIN TO WORDPRESS ADMIN
1. In the WordPress admin click on “plugins” in the left hand menu.
2. At the top click “Add New”.
3. On the following screen, at the top click “Upload Plugin”.
4. Browse to the zip file “accessibility-press-links.zip”.
5. Click “Install Now”.
VIA FTP (MANUAL INSTALL)
1. Download AccessibilityPress: External Links to your desktop.
2. Unzip the file “accessibility-press-links.zip”
3. With your FTP program, upload the Plugin folder to the wp-content/plugins folder in your WordPress directory online.
4. Go to your WordPress admin plugins screen and activate the plugin.
= Usage: =
1. Once activated, you should see AccessibilityPress has been added to your admin menu.
2. Click “External Links”
3. Click “Start Link Scan”
4. Wait until finished
5. Review the links
6. Turn “on” or “off” the ability to add an icon and assistive text for screen readers to external links.